Saturday`s Vanarama National League Review....

By Steve Whitney

Tranmere Rovers made it five wins from the opening five matches of the new Vanarama National League season on Saturday.

Gary Brabin`s side won 2-1 at Prenton Park against newly-promoted Maidstone United to move three points clear of the embryonic table.

However, the Stones looked to be on course for a point after Alex Flisher cancelled out Andy Cook’s 40th minute opener for Rovers just past the hour-mark.

But Rovers` confidence shone through and they sealed victory 10 minutes from time when veteran defender Steve McNulty netted following a corner.

John Still`s Dagenham & Redbridge side were many pundits` choice to make a rapid return to the Football League.

And they are now second after a third successive win at Kingfield against a Woking outfit yet to record a victory and with just one point from their five matches.

The game was virtually done and dusted in the opening 20 minutes as the Daggers raced into a 3-0 lead.

Dagenham were ahead after 11 minutes, centre-back Craig Robson left unmarked to head over a Luke Guttridge corner from close range.

The visitors were 2-0 ahead when Brighton loanee Jordan Maguire-Drew curled an exquisite shot over `keeper Michael Poke.

It got worse for Cards when Ben Gordon upended Maguire-Drew in the box, and although Poke saved Fejire Okenabirhe`s spot-kick, the same player was instantly set up by Guttridge, who reacted quickest, to steer in the third.

Woking rallied in the second period, and the deficit was cut within 3 minutes of the second half when the ball fell to Anthony Edgar on the edge of the box and he shot into the bottom corner.

But the Daggers held on relatively comfortably for three more valuable points.

Newly-promoted Sutton United now sit third in the fledgling table after recording a third win, this time at home to ten-men Macclesfield Town.

Ross Stearn gave the U`s a 25th minute lead that Bedsente Gomis doubled with 8 minutes of the first half remaining.

Any hope the Silkmen had of getting back into the game disappeared in the 65th minute when they had defender Andy Halls sent-off for a straight red offence on Gomis.

Dover Athletic completed an a 3-1 win over Barrow AFC at Crabble.

Moses Emmanuel gave Dover a half-time lead with the opening goal on thew half-hour mark.

Ross Lafayette doubled the Whites advantage with a deft flick 11 minutes after the break.

Sam Magri scored his first goal for Dover 7 minutes from time with a header.

And the long-travelling Bluebirds netted a last-minute consolation when sub Ross Hannah was brought down in the box by keeper Steve Arnold and he dusted himself down to net the resulting spot-kick.

Braintree Town recorded their first win of the new season on Saturday.

The Iron beat Aldershot Town 2-0 at Cressing Road.

A Jake Goodman header gave Jamie Day`s new side an early 8th minute lead.

And, after The Shots had several opportunities to level, the hosts made sure of their first three-point haul after a Simeon Akinola strike on the counter attack 14 minutes from time.

Bromley also recorded their first win on the season as both they and visiting Gateshead finished with ten-men apiece at Hayes Lane.

The visitors took an early 5th minute lead through James Bolton.

But less than a minute later, Bromley responded through Tobi Sho-Silva.

A third goal arrived with just 11 minutes gone on the clock as Sho-Silva put the home side in front.

And they stretched their advantage to 3-1 with 36 minutes gone when Joe Anderson got in on the act.

Gateshead`s chances of mounting a comeback took a massive blow when they had Manny Smith dismissed for a second booking on 67 minutes.

But 5 minutes later the teams were even again as Bromley`s two-goal hero Sho-Silva also saw red for two bookings.

The Tynesiders managed to reduce the deficit with 9 minutes left when sub Danny Johnson netted from the spot, but Bromley managed to hold out.

Forest Green Rovers achieved their third win in a row against ten-man York City at the New Lawn.

Rovers made a slow start and found themselves a goal down to Richard Brodie's stunning strike in the 20th minute.

Rhys Murphy's first goal for the club put the home side on level terms in the 40th minute.

And then on 73 minutes, York had Simon Heslop dismissed for a second bookable offence.

The ten-men looked to be heading for a hard-earned point when, 5 minutes into stoppage time, Aarran Rancine was pulled back by Daniel Nti and Matty Tubbs scored a cheeky chipped penalty straight down the middle of Luke Simpson`s goal and in off the underside of the crossbar.

Lincoln City also recorded a third win from their five games against another side reduced in numbers in Southport at Sincil Bank.

And it was a special day for the Imps` summer signing Jonny Margetts.

The former Hull and Tranmers Rovers striker his the `perfect hat-trick` in the first half with a header in the 16th minute, right foot effort on the half-hour mark and left-foot shot right on the whistle.

He added a fourth in the 79th minute from the spot after Harry Anderson had been brought down.

In between Margetts` hat-trick, Southport had Ashley Grimes sent-off with a straight red card for kicking out at Alex Woodyard.

Lincoln missed out on making it a nap hand when Port Keeper Ty Belford saved Terry Hawkridge`s spot-kick.

Newly-promoted Solihull Moors ensured Guiseley AFC suffered a fifth successive defeat with a best-of-five victory at home.

Andy Brown gave Moors a 13th minute lead that the Lions cancelled out just before half-time through Will Hatfield.

Thirteen minutes from time Adam Boyes put the point-less Yorkshire side in front, only for Brown to notch his second to pull Moors back on terms 3 minutes later.

And it was sub Harry White who broke the Lions` hearts with an 84th minute winner.

Another newly-promoted side, North Ferriby United, secured a second National League win, 1-0 at home against Torquay United.

Danny Clarke had come close to heading the Villagers in front in the opening half, but he made no mistake with 20 minutes to go when he finished off a good Ferriby move by shooting under Gulls` keeper Brendan Moore.

It was enough to condemn Torquay to a third successive away defeat.

The spoils were shared between Boreham Wood and Chester FC at Meadow Park.

Chester trailed in the 5th minute when Morgan Ferrier found the target from close range.

But second half substitute Elliott Durrell equalised in spectacular fashion from around the halfway in the 82nd minute after spotting home keeper Grant Smith off his line.

Wrexham shared second goalless draw in three outings at The Racecourse as they were held by Eastleigh, with new boss Ronnie Moore watching on.

Eastleigh keeper Ross Flitney saved well from John Rooney and Gerry McDonagh, while Paul Rutherford was also thwarted by the Eastleigh shot-stopper.

But the home side failed to create as many chances in the second half with Eastleigh going close but keeper Shwan Jalal did well to keep out Jai Reason's low drive.

Where next?

Guiseley Sack Management Team Following the run of poor results since the start of the season, the Board of Vanarama National league club Guiseley AFC have made the decision to part company with manager Mark Bower and his assistant Danny Boshell.
Now Alty Bring in New Left-Back Joining Gateshead`s Nyal Bell at Altrincham`s J. Davidson Stadium is left-back Adam Sumner, who joins from Vanarama National League North rivals AFC Fylde on non-contract terms.