Bank Holiday Monday`s Vanarama National League Round-Up.....

By Steve Whitney

Forest Green Rovers` fifth successive win in the Vanarama National League on Bank Holiday Monday saw them top the fledgling table, albeit maybe only for a...

...few hours with Tranmere Rovers involved in the live BT Sport game in the evening.

Forest Greem enjoyed a resounding 5-1 New Lawn win against struggling Southport.

Kieffer Moore gave the hosts a great start by heading in Liam Noble's free-kick after only 6 minutes.

Mohamed Chemlal doubled the lead in the 10th minute, and then Moore almost made it 3-0 when he hammered a shot against the post as Port were run ragged in the opening half-hour.

However, the visitors managed to stem the tide and even managed to score the next goal, 5 minutes after the break when player-manager Andy Bishop turned in a cross from close range.

And minutes later he almost equalised when he forced Sam Russell into a fine save with a low shot.

But Charlie Clough restored Forest Green`s two-goal lead when he headed in Noble's corner just past the hour-mark.

And Moore added his second of the game and the home side`s fourth on 78 minutes, with substitute Rhys Murphy making it a nap hand 4 minutes from time.

Lincoln City continued their fine start to the season with a thrilling victory over Gateshead in front of Sincil Bank's biggest crowd of the season so far, 3,687.

Sean Raggett headed the Imps in front after just 6 minutes and it remained 1-0 until half-time.

Nathan Arnold added the second 5 minutes into the second half with a excellent team goal.

But the best was saved until last as Adam Marriott crashed home his second goal of the weekend and third of the season from the edge of the box in the 83rd minute after another fine move by an impressive-looking Imps side.

Relegated Dagenham & Redbridge's four-match winning run came to an end with defeat on Sutton United`s 3G.

Bradley Hudson-Odoi scored what proved to be the winner after just 11 minutes when he converted Ross Stearn's cross past Elliott Justham.

Jordan Maguire-Drew had an effort cleared off the line by Jamie Collins, and U`s keeper Ross Worner produced a fine save to deny the in-form Oliver Hawkins.

Both sides were reduced to ten-men late on with substitute Luke Guttridge going off injured after Dagenham had made all three changes, before Sutton`s Simon Downer was sent-off for a challenge deemed reckless.

Dover Athletic suffered a second successive Bank Holiday weekend defeat, going down to an improving Aldershot Town side, who in contrast won both of their games, at Crabble.

Shamir Fenelon pounced on a defensive mistake to put the visitors ahead in the 21st minute.

And then former Dover favourite Liam Bellamy headed The Shots` second on 41 minutes.

Four minutes later Ross Lafayette's superb free-kick reduced the deficit.

But the second half stayed goalless, despite Dover having the lions` share of possession.

Barrow AFC also made it two wins in three days, following up Saturday`s home win against Braintree Town with a 1-0 success at newly-promoted North Ferriby United.

Richard Bennett followed up his equaliser in that 2-1 victory with the winner 2 minutes into stoppage time at the end of the game at the Eon Visual Media Stadium.

York City remain without an away win in almost a year following a 2-1 defeat to former manager Gary Mills' Wrexham at the Racecourse Ground.

John Rooney converted a 16h minute penalty after Matty Fry was adjudged to have fouled Paul Rutherford inside the area.

But much-travelled striker Richard Brodie struck for the fourth successive game to equalise after 24 minutes.

Sean Newton headed the Dragons back in front after 63 minutes and they held on to that, victory moving Wrexham into the top ten.

Kevin Lokko scored a last-gasp winner as Maidstone United beat Boreham Wood 1-0 at Meadow Park.

There was a touch of fortune about the goal too as Lokko helped a free-kick from Jamie Coyle back across goal, only to see the ball drop in past Grant Smith.

There was little between the sides over 90 minutes although with the hosts finishing strongly, a point would have been about right, but it was a good way for Maidstone boss Jay Saunders to celebrate his 300th game in charge.

It`s been a disappointing Bank Holiday weekend for Braintree Town as they were beaten 3-1 at home by Torquay United after losing in Cumbria against Barrow on Saturday.

Jamie Reid gave the visitors a 21st minute lead - Torquay's first away goal of the season.

Braintree equalised in the 32nd minute from a set-piece as Sam Corne's corner was headed on at the near post by Lee Barnard and Craig Braham-Barrett forced it over the line.

Parity didn't last long, though, as Torquay regained the lead just 3 minutes later when Iron keeper Jamie Butler fumbled the ball allowing Giancarlo Gallifuoco to net.

It was all over for the hosts in the 75th minute when Luke Young stroked the ball into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

Macclesfield Town quickly recovered from Saturday`s defeat at home by Lincoln to inflict a second successive holiday defeat on newly-promoted Solihull Moors.

A deflected 25-yard effort from Shep Murombedzi put the hosts in front after 22 minutes.

But Murombedzi turned from hero to villain when he brought down Danny Rowe in the box in the 41st minute and Kingsley James converted the resulting penalty.

Moors were then handed a spot-kick of their own in the 2nd minute of first half injury-time when the visitors were penalised for tugging, and Akwasi Asante duly converted.

However, just 3 minutes after the break, the referee pointed to the spot for the third time in 7 minutes in Macc`s favour and James, who had been fouled himself, stepped up to make it 2-2.

A draw looked on the cards until 3 minutes into stoppage time when Ollie Norburn popped up with the Silkmen`s winner.

And Woking are finally off the mark at the seventh attempt, beating Chester FC 3-1 at Kingfield.

It meant a mixed holiday weekend for Jon McCarthy`s Blues, who eased to a 4-0 home win against Sutton United on Saturday.

But they fell behind to a 17th minute Kieran Murtagh effort from 25 yards.

Undeterred, Chester equalised 9 minutes later when Ryan Lloyd headed home a Johnny Hunt cross.

Less than 2 minutes later though, the Cards were back in front when Joey Jones headed Max Kretzschmar's cross past Jon Worsnop.

And wha proved to be the winner for Garry Hill`s men came with 15 minutes remaining when Chigozie Ugwu fired a powerful effort past Worsnop.

Where next?

Saturday`s Vanarama National League Review.... Forest Green Rovers returned to the top of the Vanarama National League table on Saturday after they won 2-1 at Chester FC, overtaking Tranmere Rovers, who lost their unbeaten start to new season
Saturday`s Vanarama National League Review.... Tranmere Rovers remain top of the Vanarama National League table on Saturday, but dropped their first points of the new season as struggling Southport claimed a 1-1 draw at the Merseyrail Community Stadium.