The new Port manager has already totally turned around the club’s National League North fortunes after arriving at the end of August to take over a team who had lost 14 of their last 15 games.
Taking no time to stamp his mark, Southport thrashed King’s Lynn Town 4-1 away from home on Saturday thanks to a Marcus Carver hat-trick. It added to success against Hereford and Scarborough Athletic in the new boss’ first two matches at the helm.
But Bentley has set his standards high and says they shouldn’t have conceded - and doesn’t know why they didn’t score half a dozen.
“It’s been a fantastic start, but that’s all it is,” he told the club’s video player following the one-sided win at the Walks.
“I looked at the table for the first time last week, just to see where we were and what we need to do. What we’ve done so far takes us away from where we don’t want to be for now.
“But all it is for us is a building block. It’s a fabulous start for myself, we’re scoring goals and we’re playing with real confidence. They look like they’re enjoying their football.
“There’s loads a little bits of nit-picking from me. We’re striving to be absolutely 100 per cent, which is not the case yet - you want to be A1. I am a little bit disappointed that we sacrificed one or two opportunities and we conceded a goal. It’s harsh, but I’m a bit like that. We should have scored more than we did.
“We’re striving to be flat out. We could and should have scored more. I couldn’t be any prouder of the players, they’ve put a real shift in and I’m really pleased for all concerned.”