Saturday’s Round-Up: Vanarama National League

1 year ago By Steve Whitney

Macclesfield Town are still three points clear at the top of the table but the Silkmen endured a miserable afternoon on the north-west coast as AFC Fylde moved up to within two points of the play-off places after a 6-0 hammering of the leaders at Mill Far

In front of a crowd of 1,982, the Coasters got off to a great start when Jonny Smith`s in-swinging corner was met by Lewis Monstrose with a flying near-post header.

The on 23 minutes, the home side went two-up when Sam Finley pinged a ball into the feet of Jack Muldoon, who took a touch out of his feet before curling a 25-yard effort past Sam Ramsbottom into the top corner.

Ten minutes later it got even better for Fylde when Finley tried a speculative effort from 30 yards that squirmed underneath 'keeper Ramsbottom and into the net.

Then, in first half injury-time, a long ball over the top from Danny Rowe found Smith, who rounded Ramsbottom and tapped the ball into an empty net to end an incredible first half with the Coasters four-up.

Dave Challinor`s side showed no sign of taking their foot off the gas in the second half though, and on 57 minutes they made it a nap hand when Smith cut onto his left foot and his deflected effort brought a good save from sub keeper Shwan Jalal, only for Finley to tap home from close range.

And on 76 minutes it was 6-0 when Rowe, who amazingly failed to find the net himself, won the ball and sent a terrific cross into the box for Andy Bond to volley into the bottom corner.

Three minutes into stoppage time and it could have been even more embarrassing for Macc, but Bond blazed over the bar from close range.

A crumb of comfort for John Askey`s leaders was to discover that second-placed Aldershot Town had failed to win.

The Shots were held to a goalless draw at the EBB Stadium by mid-table Ebbsfleet United.

Gary Waddock's side are playing some good football this season, but Fleet matched them all the way and had chances to win the game themselves.

Aldershot pushed hard for a late winner but efforts from subs James Rowe and Matt McClure few wide as the visitors stood firm.

Sutton United were briefly second after winning the lunchtime kick-off live on BT Sport against play-off chasing Dagenham & Redbridge.

The first half was almost totally dominated by the U`s as Daggers side, not in the best of form away from Victoria Road, struggled to put any passes together.

However, the home side were unable to make their dominance tell until the 57th minute when an attempted back-header from Scott Doe was intercepted by Tommy Wright, who nipped the ball round `keeper Mark Cousins and put it into an empty net.

And then just 4 minutes later, a Harry Beautyman corner was headed home by Tom Bolarinwa to double Sutton`s lead – a lead they fully deserved.

It wasn`t until the final 6 minutes plus stoppage time that the Daggers inflicted some pressure on the home defence and after good work down the left by Morgan Ferrier, Femi Okenabirhie reduced the deficit from just outside the six-yard box.

John Still`s side then bombarded the home side with a series of long, hopeful balls without seriously threatening Owen Evans in the U`s goal, and Paul Doswell`s side held firm for three valuable points.

Wrexham are fourth after inflicting more home misery on Hartlepool United with a 2-0 success at Victoria Park.

Craig Harrison`s side, who have won just one in eleven games, enjoyed plenty of possession but lacked a cutting edge at Victoria Park.

It proved to be a good day for new Wrexham signing Scott Quigley.

On loan from SkyBet League One side Blackpool, he broke the deadlock 9 minutes into the second half with a fine run and shot past Scott Loach.

And then on 72 minutes Quigley repeated the dose with a similar run and finish to kill off Pools challenge and leave them dangerously close to the drop zone.

Tranmere Rovers maintained their push up the table and are now fifth after edging a five-goal thriller at Prenton Park against mid-table Maidenhead United.

James Norwood struck early for the home side after just 4 minutes, and that was the score at the break.

But just 4 minutes into the second half, Burnley loanee Josh Ginnelly doubled Rovers` advantage.

A Steve McNulty own goal 6 minutes later gave the Magpies hope of a comeback before sub Jeff Hughes restored Tranmere`s two-goal advantage in the 78th minute.

Remy Clerima pulled one back for the visitors with 6 minutes to go, but Rovers held firm.

Tranmere leap-frogged Boreham Wood in the table after they were beaten by the same scoreline at Meadow Park by a now eighth-placed Dover Athletic side.

All five goals came in the second half, with Angelo Balanta and Ricky Shakes both coming very close for Wood in the opening half.

But it was Dover who broke the deadlock 3 minutes into the second period when a cross pin-balled around the box before striking the knee of Manny Parry, hitting the post and going in!

Wood were level on 70 minutes though when David Stephens powerfully volleyed home on the edge of the box following a half-cleared corner.

Dover were on target again 8 minutes later as sub Kadell Daniel`s flick was deflected past keeper Grant Smith.

The on 85 minutes, Femi Ilesanmi cut inside in the Wood area and fired past Smith for 3-1.

Wood reduced the deficit to one 2 minutes later when Bruno Andrade's free-kick crashed against the woodwork. Balanta, Shakes and Jamie Turley all had efforts blocked, but Alex Davey crashed the loose ball into the roof of the net.

Wood poured forward in stoppage time looking for a leveller and Stephens, Balanta, and Shakes all sent the ball goalwards, but none are close enough to trouble Mitch Walker in the Dover goal.

There was another 3-2 scoreline to the away side at the Gallagher Stadium as Eastleigh edged out Maidstone United, who are now win-less in eleven.

The hosts made a dream start too when Johan ter Horst punished a mistake by visiting `keeper Ross Flitney after just 30 seconds.

Ayo Obileye equalised for the Spitfires in the 11th minute, but skipper Stuart Lewis restored the Stones lead in the 33rd minute.

But a mistake by home keeper Lee Worgan presented new loan signing Ryan Broom with a 79th minute equaliser.

And Oblieye went on to score his second 4 minutes from time and Eastleigh survived a nervy finish to take the points.

slumped back to third-bottom after losing for the first time in 2018 at the Swansway to Gateshead.

Steve Watson’s visitors found themselves ahead just before the break when the ball was crossed to sklipper Paddy McLaughlin, who turned the ball beyond Sam Hornby.

Wes York`s run from the half-way line in first half injury-time produced Gateshead`s second goal as his ball across found Jordan Burrow to half-hit a shot into the far corner.

Jordan Preston netted the visitors third just 7 minutes into the second half, getting in behind the home defence and coolly curling the ball past Hornby.

Chester pulled a goal back through Harry White on 70 minutes from the edge of the area past Dan Hanford, but they were unable to add to that and it was a comfortable end for the visitors.

Solihull Moors moved up to fourth-bottom, four points behind the safety-mark after a fine 3-0 win at The Automated Technology Group Stadium against freefallingWoking.

Moors got off to a great start and were in front after just 7 minutes when Darren Carter drilled a corner into Liam Daly, whose shot is blocked to Kwame Thomas, who backheeled the ball past Nathan Baxter.

That was the only goal of the opening period, and then just shy of the hour-mark, Solihull netted a crucial second when Jermaine Hylton latched on to a loose ball and chipped the onrushing Baxter and the ball trickled into the back of the net.

The points were assured after 73 minutes when Daly put in a delightful cross for Hylton, who had a free header and beat Baxter.

Bottom side Torquay United are in deep trouble now after losing 4-0 at Plainmoor to a now seventh—placed Bromley side.

The Gulls are a massive eleven points behind twentieth-placed Barrow AFC, who have a game in hand too.

They came close to taking the lead on the half-hour mark when Luke Young hit the post with a long-range effort.

But 4 minutes before the break, it was the visitors who broke the deadlock when the ball fell to Louis Dennis in the box, and although Ryan Clarke saved the initial effort, Dennis tucked home the rebound.

On 65 minutes Bromley doubled their advantage when Tommy O`Sullivan gave the ball away and Adam Mekki slotted home.

The visitors made it 3-0 just 7 minutes later as Luke Wanadio tucked the ball home.

And 7 minutes after that, Mekki crossed for Josh Rees to slot in number four from close range.

And it could have been even worse for the home side as they conceded an 87th minute penalty when Liam Davis brought down Rees in the box, but Clarke saved Rees` resulting spot-kick.

Where next?

Saturday's Round-Up: Vanarama National League North The big game in the Vanarama National League North between leaders Salford City and second-placed Harrogate Town lived up to expectations at the Peninsula Stadium on Saturday.
Garrard: Wood Need To Stop Losing Run It may only be two matches but Boreham Wood boss Luke Garrard wants the run ending as soon as possible.

Match centre

Vanarama National League North
Vanarama National League South

Latest photos

vs FC Halifax Town - 15/01/2019
24 photos
vs FC Halifax Town - 12/01/2019
10 photos
vs Gateshead - 08/01/2019
22 photos
vs Gateshead - 08/01/2019