Saturday`s Buildbase FA Trophy First Round Review.....

1 year ago By Steve Whitney

Although Saturday`s Buildbase FA Trophy First Round was hit by several postponements, there was still plenty of drama in the ties that did take place and several `upsets`.

They`ll be no Wembley visit for Vanarama National League side Hartlepool United in their first season in the competition as Craig Harrison`s outfit crashed to a 1-0 defeat at Borough Park against Evo-Stik League Premier club Workington AFC.

In front of a crowd of 771, the game`s defining moment came in the 82nd minute with from a breakaway from the hosts, Scott Allison cut in from the left and sent a low drive across goal and into the bottom left corner of Scott Loach’s goal.

Aldershot Town`s poor Trophy record continues as the National League side were bundled out of the competition by National League South hosts East Thurrock United.

A 33rd minute Cheye Alexander own goal gave the Rocks the lead that Tom Richardson doubled 4 minutes after half-time.

And the former Brightlingsea Regent striker went on to complete his first hat-trick for the club he joined in October in the 63rd and 70th minutes.

The 2013 winners and 2015 runners-up Wrexham are also out, beaten at the first hurdle at the hands of National League North high-flyers Harrogate Town.

And the man who was mainly responsible for knocking out the National League outfit was former Darlington striker Mark Beck, who had a loan spell with Wrexham in 2016.

Wrexham boss Dean Keates chose to field a youthful side and they were punished for a defensive error by Beck after 18 minutes.

And as the hosts tried to pull level, Harrogate landed a hammer blow midway through the second half as a pin-point cross found Beck at the far post who headed home to double his side`s lead.

National League North play-off chasers Chorley also bowed out, beaten 3-1 at The Chorley Group Victory Park Stadium by Evo-Stik League Premier strugglers Marine AFC.

Matty Hughes had given the Magpies an early 2nd minute lead, but Adam Hughes equalised 15 minutes later.

And then an own goal from Josh O’Keefe on 74 minutes, although it was claimed by James Murray, and a stoppage time strike from Danny Mitchley, saw the Mariners through.

Bostik League Premier club Billericay Town beat National League South side Havant & Waterlooville in a `shock` that most pundits were actually predicting!

The home side had a great start when top scorer Jake Robinson scored inside 3 minutes.

On 42 minutes though, Billericay`s Matt Paine was sent-off, but in the resulting bust-up, Jordan Rose also received a red card, leaving both sides down to ten-men.

Four minutes after half-time, Robinson doubled his and Billericay`s lead.

Matty Tubbs came off the bench to reduce the deficit on 65 minutes, but Sam Deering made sure of the Essex club`s passage with a third in stoppage time, and few teams will fancy being paired with Glenn Tamplin`s side in Monday`s draw – especially at New Lodge!

National League North side Leamington losing 1-0 at the New Windmill Ground to Evo-Stik League Premier outfit Stourbridge is another outcome that many thought eminently possible ahead of kick-off, given the Glassboys cup pedigree.

What turned out to be the only goal of an often fiesty game came 3 minutes into the second half when Matty Dodd scored after a bit of ping-pong in the six-yard box and despite an outstanding save from Tony Breeden.

There was some unsavoury scenes at the end of the game, sparked off by a bad challenge by Brandon Hauge on Breeden.

This sparked a brawl between Leamington supporters and Stourbridge players and coaching staff, although the situation was quickly diffused.

National League South side Bath City are another with an indifferent Trophy record given the number of years they have been in and around the top levels of non-League football.

And they are out of the 2017/18 competition, beaten 2-1 at Silver Jubilee Park by Bostik Premier side Hendon.

Arthur Lee gave the Greens a 39th minute lead that Tom Smith cancelled out within 2 minutes of the second half getting underway.

But Keagan Cole won it for Hendon in the 74th minute with virtually his first touch of the ball after coming off the bench.

Bath`s league rivals Hampton & Richmond Borough now face a very tricky midweek trip to Essex after being held to a 1-1 draw at The Beveree by Bostik North side Heybridge Swifts.

Swifts have had a terrific run in this season`s Emirates FA Cup and are already miles behind with their league games, so perhaps could also do without a replay themselves.

They took a 24th minute lead, courtesy of an own goal from Charlie Wassmer.

And that looked as though it was going to be the goal that caused an upset, but it ended up being a day to remember for 16-year-old Dylan Randall, who came off the bench to net a dramatic stoppage time equaliser for the Beavers.

National League South promotion-chasers Dartford also face a midweek replay after matching National League Boreham Wood in a 1-1 Princes Park draw.

The Darts had to play the final 21 minutes with ten-men after Alex Brown was sent-off for two yellow cards.

Wood went ahead in the second half through Ricky Shakes, but Tom Murphy levelled for the hosts.

In all-National League encounters, Chester FC needed a penalty shoot-out to edge past AFC Fylde in a dramatic tie at the Swansway Chester Stadium.

A couple of ties had agreed to play to a finish today and this was one.

Ross Hannah’s 52nd minute strike looked to have given Chester a place in Monday`s draw, but Serhat Tasdemir pulled the Coasters level in the 90th minute, forcing the tie into extra-time.

Danny Rowe came off the bench to give Fylde the lead but Lucas Dawson bagged a leveller, meaning the tie would be settled on penalties.

Jonny Smith fired Fylde’s fifth penalty over the bar and Andy Halls successfully converted his spot-kick to secure a 5-4 victory for the hosts in the shoot-out.

Home advantage counted at Stonebridge Road where Ebbsfleet United knocked out Eastleigh 2-1.

Danny Kedwell broke the deadlock to put Fleet in front after 77 minutes, but the Spitfires hit back almost immediately through Cavaghn Miley.

But with a replay looking likely, Myles Weston grabbed a dramatic late winner to send Fleet through.

Torquay United can concentrate fully on preserving their National League status after being comprehensively booted out of the Trophy by Maidstone United at Plainmoor.

Goals from Magnus Okuonghae and Reece Prestedge had the Stones two-up when the Gulls had Jazzi Barnum-Bobb sent-off after 51 minutes for a reckless challenge near the touchline.

The visitors wrapped up a comfortable win with further goals from Joe Pigott and Tom Wraight.

Woking, serial winners of the competition, having lifted the Trophy in 1994, 1995 and 1997 and finished runners-up in 2006, won`t be at Wembley next May after losing 2-0 at Kingfield to Maidenhead United.

The Magpies broke the deadlock 5 minutes after half-time when Moses Emmanuel slid the ball past new Cards` keeper Jojo Woollacott.

And in the 88th minute, seconds after coming off the bench, Jake Hyde wrapped up Maidenhead`s win.

The match between Solihull Moors and Tranmere Rovers was abandoned due to floodlight failure at the Automated Technology Group Stadium.

Rovers were 1-0 up when the referee called a halt 10 minutes before half-time.

In an all-National League North tie, the holders are out as York City were beaten 2-1 at Aggborough by 1987 winners and three-times runners-up, Kidderminster Harriers.

Two quick-fire first half goals from James Pearson and Mani Sonupe set them on their way, but not until they'd weathered a nervy end to the clash after former Kidderminster striker Amari Morgan-Smith had stuck late on.

And an all-National League South tie saw St Albans City edge through 2-1 at the Enclosed Ground against strugglers Whitehawk.

Goals from Zane Banton and Kieran Monlouis saw the Saints progress after Ky Marsh-Brown had equalised for the Hawks.

National League side Barrow AFC, winners in 1990 and 2010, are through after edging past National League North hosts Nuneaton Town at Liberty Way.

Byron Harrison struck late on, getting his head to a Jack Barthram cross to take the Bluebirds through.

Afterwards, Nuneaton manager Dino Maamria told his club`s official Pitchero website: "It's really difficult. When you dominate a game for 90 minutes and you come away with nothing, through an error, which happens. But unfortunately, when a goalkeeper makes a mistake he's the last one on the line. But Deano Lyness is a good character and a good goalkeeper and will always be working hard to improve.

"We had done our homework on them. We knew their strengths, they are quite a big side and physical. So, I thought we needed to do the basics well, we had to compete, head, tackle and work harder than them. I thought we did really well. We created a couple of really good chances in the first half. Second half we had big moments.

"Having said that, they are a strong side and not just that, they rested a few players today, so they had fresh legs. But I thought overall, we more than matched them and deserved to win the game.

"All the work we have been doing on the training ground in the last few weeks was evident. We are barely conceding, so we will keep improving further."

Two goals in 12 second half minutes helped take Barrow`s league rivals Dover Athletic to victory against National League South side Eastbourne Borough at Crabble.

Mitch Pinnock broke the deadlock in the opening seconds of the second half before top scorer Ryan Bird claimed his 12th goal of the season.

Substitute James Alabi then completed the scoring in the 88th minute after a fine cross by Femi Ilesanmi.

Eastbourne`s league rivals Truro City suffered late heartbreak as a last-minute goal gave National League side Sutton United a hard-earned 1-0 win.

It looked as though the White Tigers had forced the U`s to make a long midweek trek to Cornwall, until the 89th minute when Craig Dundas seized on a loose ball before tucking home to put the home side in front.

Right at the death, Truro`s Cody Cooke fired inches wide with virtually the last kick.

But Truro boss Lee Hodges was proud of his teams’ efforts. He told his club`s official Pitchero website: “To put in that kind of performance against a high-flying side from the league above was superb,” he said. “We’re looking back to our best; in football you don’t always get what you deserve, and a slight mistake has cost us here.

“We were great all over the pitch and as the game went on, we looked the most likely side, so it makes it even more disappointing that we lost it so late on.

“I thought that we were well-organised and worked extremely hard. The players should feel proud of where we’re at right now.

“We want to be able to compete with teams like this. Lady Luck shone on them on this occasion, but the lads gave me everything out there.

“It’s a case of picking ourselves up and being ready to go into the busy festive period now. We’ve proven hard to beat in the first half of the season and we want to kick-on from here now.

“There are lots of points to play for and our aim is to make sure that we’re still in and around it after the festive period.

“The next game is always the most important and our focus now turns to the home game against Gloucester City next weekend.

“It’s about what we do and we’ll be ready for the challenge.”

It finished all-square between National League South high-flyers Braintree Town and National League North promotion-chasers Brackley Town.

No-one was able to break the deadlock at Cressing Road, so it`s on to St James`s Park for a replay.

Second half goals from Josh Coulson and Matt Harrold ensured National League side Leyton Orient weren`t victims of an upset at Bostik North neighbours Haringey Borough.

Michael Ademiluyi had handed the hosts a 5th minute lead, but after trailing at the break Orient responded through Coulson who volleyed home on the 58th minute.

And the O`s saved face 11 minutes from time, when Harrold came off the bench to score with his first touch.

National League South side Wealdstone also scraped through at Grosvenor Vale against Bostik Premier visitors Wingate & Finchley.

A goal from Abobaker Eisa 6 minutes into the second half sealed the Stones` progress.

Many were predicting an upset in Somerset where Taunton Town, unbeaten in ten Evo-Stik League South West games with a thirteen-point lead at the top of table, hosted a Bognor Regis Town side who have won only three of their twenty-one matches in the National League South.

And the Peacocks led at half-time, thanks to a 38th minute Les Afful effort.

But the Rocks pulled level on 56 minutes with a header from Ben Swallow.

And then 9 minutes from time, Ibra Sekajja fired home to give the visitors the lead.

Taunton`s chances of mounting a comeback virtually disappeared in the 85th minute when they had Ollie Chamberlain given his marching orders for bringing down Sekajja as last man.

A minute later Swallow made it 1-3 to the visitors and in stoppage time, Doug Tuck fired a 25 yard fourth.

Hartley Wintney are enjoying a tremendous first season in the Evo-Stik League South East, and they can now concentrate on trying to win back-to-back promotions after bowing out 2-0 at home to National League side Bromley.

Second half goals from Josh Rees and sub George Porter saw the Ravens through to the next round.

The FA would no doubt be delighted to see a club with Stockport County`s support reach the final, and they are through to the Second Round after the National League North outfit won 3-1 at the Giant Axe against Evo-Stik League Premier side Lancaster City.

Jason Oswell gave the Hatters a 27th minute lead that Gary Stopforth doubled 6 minutes before the break.

Ryan Winder`s penalty 10 minutes into the second half gave the Dolly Blues hope, but a last-gasp Bohan Dixon third extinguished that to make it 3-1.

Where next?

Edinburgh Pleased With Orient's Performance Orient claimed a 2-1 victory at Haringey Borough after coming back from a goal down at half-time.
Saturday`s Round-Up: Vanarama National League North The were just two matches in the Vanarama National League North on Saturday with the game at North Ferriby United falling foul of the weather.

Match centre

Vanarama National League North
Vanarama National League South

Latest photos

vs FC Halifax Town - 15/01/2019
24 photos
vs FC Halifax Town - 12/01/2019
10 photos
vs Gateshead - 08/01/2019
22 photos
vs Gateshead - 08/01/2019