Rocks Maintain Unbeaten Start To Go Top

9 months ago By Steve Whitney

East Thurrock United maintained their unbeaten start to the new Vanarama National League South season by passing their biggest test to date in winning 2-1 at the side leading the table at kick-off, Chelmsford City.

And the Rocks won, despite falling behind as early as the 7th minute when Chris Dickson was brought down on the edge of the box and Danny Green fired the resulting free-kick through the wall and into the back of the net.

But John Coventry`s side were level on the quarter-hour mark through Max Cornhill (pictured).

And 9 minutes later, the visitors were ahead in somewhat controversial fashion when the officials failed to spot a handball by Harry Honesty in the build-up to Cornhill`s second following a goalmouth scramble.

Just before the hour-mark, City were fortunate to not fall 3-1 down when Honesty`s shot bounced back off a post, but in the main, the 741 crowd saw the home side give as good as they got in the second period without managing to find an equaliser.

East Thurrock took over from the Clarets at the top of the fledgling table as consequence of their victory.

Wealdstone carried on the momentum from Saturday’s 3-0 victory over Bognor Regis Town with a 4-1 win against Poole Town at Grosvenor Vale.

Question marks were raised over fitness after Stones’ impressive performance at East Thurrock last week was ruined by a 5-1 thrashing at Weston-super-Mare just three days later, with Bobby Wilkinson’s style demanding high energy for large periods.

However, Wilkinson mainly stuck with the side that impressively beat Bognor on Saturday, making one change with Josh Hill replacing Ciaron Brown.

And three goals in the final 7 minutes of the first half put any fitness worries to bed with a double from Matty Whichelow on 38 and 40 minutes and a solitary Abobaker Eisa strike a minute before the break.

Poole`s recent signing Warren Bentley scored against his former Hungerford boss Wilkinson on 62 minutes to keep the second half interesting but Dan Fitchett sealed the game just before stoppage time was announced.

Bath City made it two away wins in three days with a 2-1 victory over Hungerford Town at Bulpit Lane.

All the goals came in the second half, with Jack Compton netting both of City’s, the first from the penalty spot after 61 minutes and the second on 73 minutes, before Louie Soares pulled one back for the hosts on 83 minutes to give City a nervous final 7 minutes.

Compton missed a second penalty, moments after the first, following a bizarre change of mind by the referee, where he showed joint caretaker boss Ian Herring a red card for bringing down Marvin Morgan only to reduce it to a yellow after consulting with one of his assistants.

Gloucester City were held to a 1-1 draw by Hampton & Richmond Borough at the Jubilee Stadium

The Tigers took the lead 10 minutes into the second half through Joe Parker, who got on the end of a long Joe Hanks through ball to chip Beavers` keeper Sam Howes.

The lead lasted all 2 minutes however, as the visitors were level when some indecisive defending allowed Bradley Hudson-Odoi in to cut the ball back across City keeper Tom Hadler and into the back of the net.

For more news, reaction and action from across the National League, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Where next?

Avenue Make It Seven Unbeaten - Another Draw For Brakes Boston United relinquished a winning position to lose 2-1 to Bradford Park Avenue in the Vanarama National League North at the Horsfall Stadium on Monday night.
WATCH NOW! Highlights From Saturday's National League Games Highlights from games in all three leagues are online now!

Match centre

Vanarama National League North
Vanarama National League South